We often forget about the power that something as simple as the customer experience has on our overall business. In other words, it’s our customers who can make or break our business. As business owners, we must invest time and resources into creating a better external communication strategy and customer experience. The benefits of a proper communication strategy doing this are tremendous:
- Improves customer satisfaction. Create a consistent customer experience that exceeds your customers’ expectations. To do this, maintain a high level of service and communication throughout the buying journey.
- Increases customer referrals. No matter how much you can promote and communicate your business on social media, customer referrals will always reign supreme. If you give your customers a great experience, they will become advocates and communicate their experiences with others.
- Reduces customer turnover. More often than not, customers leave because of poor communication and customer service. Give and communicate to your customers a great customer experience and they won’t want to leave you.
- Builds stronger relationships. When you focus on customer experience, you can personally connect with each customer. This results in finding ways to better serve them and keep them happy.
- Increases sales and revenue. This is the easiest way to measure return on investment on customer experience. The happier your customers, the more likely they are going to spend.
In this article, we are going to share the main areas that you can focus on to communicate properly and enhance your customers’ experiences.
1) Survey your customers
Start by communicating with and surveying your customers about what they want. For example, you can ask your customers questions to get a sense of what they like or don’t like about your products and services. Communicate with your customer by asking them questions about the layout of the store, their online user experience, pricing, service and product offering. The more information you gather from your customers’ responses, the more you can change how you communicate and improve their experiences. For example, brands like Erin Condren utilize this exceptionally well. Each year, after the new version of her “LifePlanner” is released, she sends out surveys to customers to get feedback on the features and design elements of the planner. The company listens to this feedback and takes it into account when producing the next year’s version.
2) Communicate your gratitude
Thus, one of the easiest and most effective ways you can show your customers you care about them is by communicating your gratitude and appreciation. A simple “thank you” is all it takes to show customers you appreciate their business. In particular, make sure you do this often and consistently—in person, over the phone, via email, on social media, etc. Over communicate the importance each and every customer to your company. Run promotions to give your customers the appreciation they deserve. “Friends and family” sales are a great way to do this. Other ways include sending discount coupons via email or greeting cards for occasions like birthdays and holidays. This communication of gratitudes starts from within. So make sure you have a strong internal communication strategy to personally connect with your employees. In turn, your employees will be empowered to personally connect with and show appreciation to your customers.
3) Encourage customers to share and communicate with others
At the same time, your customers are the ambassadors and ultimate communicators of your business and brand. They are going to be the ones to share their experiences with their network on social media and in person via word-of-mouth. This is a powerful way to share with and personally connect the world and your opinion of the brand. While feedback could be negative (helping you make improvements), positive feedback can go a long way for the success of the brand and your relationship with it. As a brand, you want to encourage your customers to share their experience with your business with their friends and family. Specifically, make sure your public relations team is on top of its game to catch all customers mentions of the brand and respond to users on all platforms. Customers will feel heard and that their voice matters. People matter.
4) Create and communicate personalized offers
Similarly, customers want to feel like businesses really know them. To do this, businesses are looking at communicating personalized offers to their customer base. Personalized offers use the company’s data to its advantage by learning more about various customer behaviors and creating offers that align with them. This leads to more targeted marketing campaigns based on the items/services they purchase from your business. This is the business’s attempt to build a relationship and personal connection with you by treating you as an individual.
When it comes down to it, there are a lot of ways you can communicate with and enhance your customers’ experiences. From surveys to personalized offers, you can make your customers feel like a part of the your business. Start investing time and resources in customer experience today and you will be surprised at how much your business will soar.